• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Gelatin before or after diacetyl rest

babychef

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm about to brew a lager, and then plan on fining with gelatin. It will lager at 34F, and then have a diacetyl rest for 3 days at 60F, prior to bottling. Would you recommend fining with gelatin before the diacetyl rest, during the lagering, or dropping the temp again after the diacetyl rest to do the fining? Also, would anyone recommend adding a bit of yeast prior to bottling after gelatin fining?

In order for the diacetyl rest to be effective, it must be done BEFORE you do any lagering.  There needs to be some sugars left to ferment in order for the diacetyl rest to be effective. 

When I make lagers (making my last one for this brew season today), I ferment at 52?F for a little over a week then raise the temperature to around 60?F for a day or three before cold crashing it down to as close to 32?F as I can.  Once I finish my diacetyl rest at 60?F, I add gelatin as the carboy is starting to cool down.

Gelatin needs the cold temperatures to fall out of solution and be effective as a clarifying agent. 

Thank you, and oops. I just showed what a rookie I am, by screwing up my terminology. Your answer was really helpful. I think I now have a method that will work for me.

Glad to help and good luck with your lager!  I just finished a string of 12 lagers ranging from pilsners to a doppelbock today.

Another important point is that the purpose of the gelatin is to drop the yeast, potentially along with proteins, etc., out of suspension. The purpose of the diacetyl rest is to allow the yeast to consume the diacetyl. The yeast still need to be alive, well and in suspension to be effective during the rest.

Back