• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil Volume

B

brew boy

Could somebody help me I am a little confused with water volumes my total batch size is 25Lt, my grain weight is 5.67 Kg Brewsmith tells me I need 14.79 Lt to mash in and 8.28 Lt to mash out .However top up water for kettle is 15.14 Lt and total boil volume is 39.82 Lt . Why am I short 1.61 Lt ?
    Next Question is if I mash in with 14.79 Lt and mash out with 8.28 Lt do I sparge with the other 15.14 Lt ?

Brew Boy

G'day

I use the single infusion, I do double batches 50ltr, total boil volume of 55ltr accounting for 5ltrs of boil off or 10% and I only have about 1/2ltr lose of wort in my system.
After I mash I just sparge until I get to my boil volume.
Most of the time I try to keep my brewing as simple as possible.
If your batch is 25ltrs(what's going into the fermenter) your boil off should only be about 10% or 2.5ltrs so your total boil volume should be about 27.5ltrs plus a little more if you have loses in your system.

I hope this helps.

cheers
Greg          MAY THE BREW BE WITH YOU! ;D

Back