• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

The Earl Grey IPA

Josh_Saratin

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am interested in one of the "Top recipes" I found on here called the "Earl Grey IPA". I attache the Recipe I put together based off of the one I saw. The OG is 1.063 and FG is 1.017 Which is at the edge of the recommended range for this style of beer which I am saying is American IPA, though there is German ale yeast. I am trying to understand as to what is the limiting factor here that will drop the estimate of FG down into the recommended range? If it is because of the complex grain bill, limited by yeast? I am just trying to understand why this recipe will end at 1.017 (I do get that the FG is higher than beers I have worked with in the past (pale ales) meaning the FG will increase as well). I have changed my mash temperature for single infusion batch sparge from light bodied to the edge of medium to change the amount of extractable sugars but in BS this has no effect on this recipe and remains the same FG. Other recipes I have made, changing this factor changes the FG which is common to know. Thanks in advance
-Joshua

Attachments

• EarlGreyIPA_Josh.bsmx
    28.1 KB · Views: 206
Joshua,
  That is very strange, indeed. I downloaded the recipe and found that changing the mash temperature from 154 to 148 has no effect on FG. On other recipes of mine there is definitely an effect there. In Options->Advanced the default is for FG to be adjusted for mash temperature with a slope of -1.25%/deg F and a center temperature of 153.5. I changed the yeast to WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast, which is a high attenuation yeast with a clean flavor profile suitable for IPAs and the estimated FG dropped to 1.013, which makes sense. I have  no explanation for the lack of temperature dependence.

--GF

Hey,
Thank you GF for your thoughts. I am going to brew this with a similar yeast to what they have... see where I end up. Next batch switch up the yeast to one with a higher attenuation and see how that goes!
-Joshua

Joshua,
  That is very strange, indeed. I downloaded the recipe and found that changing the mash temperature from 154 to 148 has no effect on FG. On other recipes of mine there is definitely an effect there. In Options->Advanced the default is for FG to be adjusted for mash temperature with a slope of -1.25%/deg F and a center temperature of 153.5. I changed the yeast to WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast, which is a high attenuation yeast with a clean flavor profile suitable for IPAs and the estimated FG dropped to 1.013, which makes sense. I have  no explanation for the lack of temperature dependence.

--GF

Josh_Saratin said:
Hey,
Thank you GF for your thoughts. I am going to brew this with a similar yeast to what they have... see where I end up. Next batch switch up the yeast to one with a higher attenuation and see how that goes!
-Joshua

Joshua,

--GF

WLP090 is very clean, basically no yeast flavor character or anything, just a clean super fast yeast.  Should work very well if you want a ipa where the hops are literally the only character as you wont get as much with malty with this yeast, I'm a fan of balancing beers.

Back