• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How To Get a Water Analysis?

Beer Lover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
As a home brewer I have tried to get a handle on the water I use to brew.  Each time I look into this topic I never get a resolution.  I did get a Water Report from my city and it does not contain the Ions needed for home brewing, ie Ca(Calcium), Mg(Magnesium), Na(Sodium), SO4(Sulfate), CI(Chloride) and NCO3(Bocarbonate).  I called the city water department and they claim they do not check for this.  I just got done reading an article in the March/April issue of Zymurgy on Home Water Analysis Kits.  The article shows these kits are maybe not that accurate.  So again I have no resolution.  I have been using a BeerSmith water profile.  What are other home brewers doing on this subject?

I got my water tested by Ward Labs, seems like a lot of homebrewers go this way.

My municipal water report covers everything I need to know for brewing, and all the concentrations are very low. I am lucky to have good, soft water to use as a starting point. Not quite as blank a slate as RO, but close (and a whole lot cheaper and easier).

--GF

Your best bet is as jtoots suggested and having a water sample tested at Ward Labs. 

I have the LaMotte brewing water kit and the biggest issue with the kits is resolution of the result, not the result itself.  I know from doing a Ward Labs test what my water is, but for fun was able to obtain a LaMotte kit at a reduced price and have been using that to test for any seasonal changes in my well water.  The results of the home test are not that different from the test results I received from Ward Labs, but the ability of the home test kits to give a result for anions such as Sulfate, is pretty crude.  The test kit is a visual tubidity test which only gives results for 0 ppm, 50 ppm, 100 ppm, etc.  Not very percise versus a test from Ward which gave me 7 ppm of Sulfate. 

The home test kit does work, however, when I've made my water adjustments to let me know that I am close to the concentrations I targeted with my water salt additions.

The following link will explain how to submit a sample for analysis.

https://www.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.php

I would like to Thank all the brewers out there for the replies.  Looks like Wards is the answer.  Thanks for the link.  Finally I can get a handle on water.

Cheers!!!!!!!

Back