• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

should i bottle ?

E

ender

I have a Stout that had a og of 1.053 and after 10 days fg is 1.019 2 days later it is still 1.019. I was expecting a fg of 1.014 . Why would i not get to my estimated fg? Do you think i should bottle or wait to see if it will drop.

ender said:
I have a Stout that had a og of 1.053 and after 10 days fg is 1.019 2 days later it is still 1.019. I was expecting a fg of 1.014 . Why would i not get to my estimated fg? Do you think i should bottle or wait to see if it will drop.
Please post the recipe so we can help you determine if it is safe to bottle.
Cheers
Preston

Here is the recipe. Let me know wht you think.

Thanks

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Gumps Imperial stout
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal     
Boil Size: 6.84 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 41.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 48.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 62.32 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
9.00 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        74.50 %     
1.00 lb      Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)          Grain        8.28 %       
1.00 lb      Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)    Grain        8.28 %       
1.00 lb      Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain        8.28 %       
0.08 lb      Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        0.66 %       
1.00 oz      Tettnang [5.80 %]  (85 min)              Hops        22.7 IBU     
1.00 oz      Williamette [5.50 %]  (85 min)            Hops        21.5 IBU     
1.00 oz      Williamette [5.70 %]  (5 min)            Hops        4.2 IBU     
1.00 oz      coffee (Boil 30.0 min)                    Misc                     
5.00 gal      Salt Lake City, UT                        Water                     

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 12.08 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time    Name              Description                        Step Temp   
60 min        Step              Add 16.00 qt of water at 166.3 F    152.0 F     

Notes:
------
First attempt at all grain brewing.

-------

Your post doesn't say which yeast you used. A difference of .004 could be from a lower attenuating yeast, which would give your brew more body. A high attenuating yeast would ferment more sugars out of the wort, which would give a thinner brew with a slightly higher ABV.

White Labs WLP002 attenuates @ about 66.5%. Good but not real high. That could account for .004 on your FG.
You could always secondary it for a couple of weeks to clear it up some too.

Thank for the reply. I'm new to the science of brewing. This helps a lot.

A general rule is that if your SG hasn't changed in a few days then it is ready to bottle.  However that is a general rule, not science.

Back