• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

English Mild Recipe?

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I think I'd like to give this one a shot, though I've never had a mild (that I know of).  I know they are supposed to be good session beers and the more I read the more they sound like a good fit for me right now. 

Does anybody know of a good commercial version on an English Mild and an all grain recipe as well?

thanks

English Mild is a fairly underdefined category, at least to my knowledge.
The last recipe to which I'd give that name that I brewed was simple and well received.
If I remember correctly I used 8# pale malt with 1/2# crystal mashed at around 150, 1oz medium alpha for 1hr, and 1oz K.G. for the last ten minutes.
The gravities were quite low.
I don't think it was much more than 4% alcohol; great for a Saturday afternoon bbq when you don't want people driving home drunk.

MH

Thanks for the recipe, I'll give it a whirl.  I've heard that milds can actually be ready to drink fairly quickly, like in a weeks time.  Do you know if this is true?

thanks

WR

Because of the relatively low gravity the fermentation happens pretty quick.
I'd say you'd be safe to bottle after a week, though personally I'd give it a minimum of two.

Back