• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Brewing the Same Beer Twice

Wildrover

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
is there any kind of function in BS that will let me use an already uploaded and brewed recipe without having to copy the whole recipe over again?  For example, I made a pretty good pale ale not long ago and can see myself brewing the same recipe again soon but thats not to say I'll have the same efficiency, fermentation temp, time etc.  Should I just copy the recipe and start from scratch or does BS allow you to draw from the same recipe but still collect the data from the different brew sessions?

thanks

WR

I usually save a version of the recipe in the brew log folder (or another folder) and then make any changes to my working copy.  The brew log then serves as a log of what I have already brewed.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks Brad,

What exactly is the brewlog, how is it or what is its intended purpose? I know the responsible thing to do would be to look at the help files but the lazy me, would rather ask the horses mouth.

thanks for the help

WR

Hey there,
I ran across the same issue a while ago and just started naming my beers with the "batch" number at the end...  Additionally, once I'd kegged up and obtained the FG reading, I also "locked" the recipe :)  Great suggestions by other folks on the forum.  Really worked out for me.

For example:  My American Pale Ale would be as follows

"American Pale Ale b3"  - b for batch, 3 for the 3'rd version/time I brewed this recipe

What I do is that under "My Recipes" I have set up several sub-files, ie:
Current Brews (brews in progress or drinking)
Finished Brews (all consumed)
Sample Recipes (BeerSmith's own)
To Do List (Recipes I've received from other brewers or planned myself).

If I want to do the same brew again, I click on the sub-file where the recipe is, highlight the recipe, right click and duplicate the recipe. I then drag it into the To Do List folder. The recipe remains in the original sub-folder, and I can then rename the duplicated recipe, and modify it if I wish.

Back