• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steeping grains at the end of the mash

Blackfriar

Apprentice
Reaction score
I read a book lately on Belgium brewing that referred to steeping some of the grains at the end of mashing and through lautering.  The grains they were steeping at the end were (I think) Caramunich, Carared  and CaraAroma, all grains that don’t require mashing. Does anyone know what he effect would be?  Has anyone tried it? I always put all my garins in at the start of mashing, am I missing somthing here?

The only time that I know of to bag grains is if you're doing extract brewing.

I'd just go with what you know already works.
If it ain't broke...

What is the book?
I'm thinking about doing up a Belgian "something" next and Ray Daniels "Designing Great Beers" doesn't have a chapter on Belgians.

Hi,

It's called "Brew Like A Monk" by Stan Hieronymus.  Good read if you plan to do these Belgian and trappist ales.

Blackfriar said:
It's called "Brew Like A Monk" by Stan Hieronymus.  Good read if you plan to do these Belgian and trappist ales.
I agree that is a great book, although I dont remember what your refering to. Guess its time to break it out and do some digging. I just did a Belgian double for the Alumanati. Having read "Brew like a Monk" was of great benifit.
Cheers
Preston

It's towards the back of the book in a recipe for "Noel Blake's Three Philosophers Ale" (with some small changes this will be my next brew).  The description of Noel Blake's dream beer on page 247 is delicious.

I've seen a similar suggestion on some stouts, to "steep" or to add late in the mash, those very roasted dark grains, particularly when you want more the color and a gentler flavor, and less of the bitter aspect.  I guess it reduces risk of grain astringency and excessive bitterness from those grains. 

Maybe in this Belgian those caramels are just for color and the brewer did not want too much unfermentables added that may conflict with a desired not-too-sweet finish? 

Thats interesting thanks.

I'm brewing it tomorrow.

Grain bill I'm using is:
For 100 Litres final volume
22 KG Pale Malt Marris Otto
6 Kg Munich Malt
1.5kg  Carra Aroma
1.5kg Torrifed Wheat
1kg Caramunich
1 KG Wheat Malt
0.7 kg Carared

The hops will be Northen Brewer pellets and Hallertauer Plus

2.5kg of Candi Suger will be added after the primary fermentation.

I'll let you how it turns out.

Back