• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

What Mash Profile do I choose

MikeGoyer

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I am using A Spike 10 Gallon Kettle ... Plan on Partial Mash ? In a Bag .. Plan on mashing at 154* with no Sparge ... Then 60 min Boil .. Plan on starting with 7.25 gallons al in the Kettle from the get go . In my timer it tells me to add water at different points which I?m confused by ..

If all or the majority of your fermentable sugars (gravity points) are coming from extract, then you are doing either an extract or partial mash recipe. 

If the recipe also calls for a base malt, that is a malt which contains enzymes -- usually expressed in the grain profile as having a diastatic potential or power, to make up some of the fermentable sugars, then you are doing a partial mash. 

If there are no base malts and only specialty malts (those malts not needing to be mashed -- expressed as 'must mash = false' in the grain profile) then you are making an extract recipe.

If the majority of the fermentable sugars are coming from grains with the majority of them being a base malt as described above, then you are doing an all-grain recipe.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/reliable-strike-water-temperature-calculation.481047/

Back