• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to Define Hops to Beersmith

tdibratt

Brewer
Reaction score
I got a copy of a BEER.XML recipe for a NEIPA.  and making some mods to it.

Original recipe called for Whirlpool Hops at 200F, 30 min.  New to this but doesn't that mean after flame out, cool wort to 200F and then add the hops, turn off chiller and recirculate for 30 mins? 

If correct and these hops contribute to bitterness, then why would the boil hops added at 0 (AROMA HOPS) min not also contribute to bitterness?  Is the assumption that all hops during the boil were in a hop basket and they have been removed?

Or am I defining them incorrectly?

tdibratt said:
I got a copy of a BEER.XML recipe for a NEIPA.  and making some mods to it.

Original recipe called for Whirlpool Hops at 200F, 30 min.  New to this but doesn't that mean after flame out, cool wort to 200F and then add the hops, turn off chiller and recirculate for 30 mins? 

If correct and these hops contribute to bitterness, then why would the boil hops added at 0 (AROMA HOPS) min not also contribute to bitterness?  Is the assumption that all hops during the boil were in a hop basket and they have been removed?

Or am I defining them incorrectly?

Whirlpool hops on a home brew level are pretty much as you have described this above.  I generally turn the heat off, get my samples for gravity readings, add my immersion chiller and the temperature is right around 200F without needing to chill it at all.  It is generally considered that the whirlpool hops which are added above 180F will contribute some to bitterness.  In your equipment profile, there is an option to extend the bittering from boil hops into the whirlpool time if you so choose.

Aroma hops added at flame out (0 min boil time) in the program are not given any IBU value because the program assumes that the wort will be chilled down very quickly after flame out.  So basically, if you configure a 0 min boil addition, you probably don't want to add a whirlpool addition if you want the program to calculate an IBU value for you.  If you want to do both, then mark the 0 min addition as a whirlpool addition to tell the program to calculate utilization for those hops.

I got a copy of a BEER.XML recipe for a NEIPA. and making some mods to it.

Original recipe called for Whirlpool Hops at 200F, 30 min. New to this but doesn't that mean after flame out, cool wort to 200F and then add the hops, turn off chiller and recirculate for 30 mins?

If correct and these hops contribute to bitterness, then why would the boil hops added at 0 (AROMA HOPS) min not also contribute to bitterness? Is the assumption that all hops during the boil were in a hop basket and they have been removed?

Or am I defining them incorrectly airbnb cleaning service 30a?
You are correct about the process of whirlpool hopping. After the flame-out, the wort is typically cooled to around 200°F (93°C), and then the whirlpool hops are added. The wort is then allowed to sit for a designated amount of time (in this case, 30 minutes) to extract flavor and aroma from the hops before transferring the wort to the fermenter. The purpose of whirlpool hops is primarily to contribute to aroma and flavor rather than bitterness. At temperatures below boiling, the extraction of alpha acids (which contribute to bitterness) is minimal. Instead, the focus is on obtaining desirable hop flavors and aromas. In the case of the "boil hops added at 0 min" or "aroma hops," their addition at the end of the boil is also aimed at maximizing hop flavor and aroma. By adding hops towards the end of the boil or even after flame-out, you can achieve more delicate and volatile hop aromas without extracting excessive bitterness. It's worth noting that some brewers may use hop bags or hop baskets during the boil or whirlpool to contain the hops and prevent them from mixing with the wort. However, even without using a hop basket, the hops can still be separated from the wort during the transfer to the fermenter using various methods like whirlpooling or using a hop filter. Overall, the goal of the recipe you have is likely to create a New England IPA (NEIPA) with pronounced hop flavors and aromas while minimizing excessive bitterness.

Back