• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Episode #168 - Beer Maturation and Yeast with John Palmer

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Beer Maturation and Yeast with John Palmer - BeerSmith Podcast #168
  http://beersmith.com/blog/2018/03/31/beer-maturation-and-yeast-with-john-palmer-beersmith-podcast-168/

Brad

I've got some questions regarding this, he talks about the cell divisions and how it effects the end product, which makes sense... but something that it makes me wonder is how yeast starters effect this?

say i'm brewing 20 gallons of 1.072 wort, and i'm cheap so i prefer to buy one pack of yeast. so it takes me a couple ramp up starters to get to the cell count i want. So if i'm starting with 90b cells, and end up with 1,000B cells, thats telling me that the yeast have divided out 10 times before i'm even pitching them to my beer. How is this going to effect the beer, vs pitching 10 packs of yeast?

by the discussion, i feel like doing yeast starters (once something i cherished) is now negatively effecting my beer, and i question even the viability of commercial yeast? is there some concept i'm missing here?

Back