• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Greetings from Wisconsin

stoloma

Apprentice
Reaction score
Let's see. I'm in the thriving metropolis of Grafton Wisconsin. I've been brewing about 1 1/2 years now. I want to try all grain brewing but I'm trying to do it on the cheap so I'm interested in DIY projects.
I'd also like to know if there are any home brew clubs in the area.

Guess that covers it for now.

On the cheap...

I took a cardboard box that would fit a 5gal bucket, put in a bucket wrapped in a trash bag, filled the box with styrofoam scraps, then used Great Stuff foam insulation on the outside of the trash bag.  Bucket slides in and out of the bag, fashioned an insulated lid, works great.
Papazian's zap-zap system for sparging is a heck of a lot cheaper than a false bottom though the extra water between buckets creates challenges.
I did purchase my sparge arm.
The biggest expense was the propane burner (Walmart turkey fryer - aluminum pot is still in the box) and brewpot (found a 9gal with spigot and thermometer on Ebay for around $100).

In the long run though, AG is much cheaper than extract. 
And the end product is like comparing instant coffee to what you get when you grind your own beans.
Once you go AG it is hard to go back.

Welcome to the Forum Let us know if we can help.
Cheers
Preston

Back