Author Topic: Carbonation calculating  (Read 5293 times)

GregKelley

Carbonation calculating
« on: October 02, 2008, 08:06:10 AM »
I really like the carbonation calculation.  Its allowed me to be more consistent and get rid of some really high carbonation issues.  Now I just have to dial it up a little more.

Anyway, I see how it recalculates how much to use if you are choosing corn sugar, DME or force carbonating.  What if I'm using honey?  How does that compare?  I have a holiday ale that used 1.75 lbs of honey (among other fermentables) and it was suggested that I use honey to carbonate.  Do I just use the settings for corn sugar?

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Re: Carbonation calculating
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 02:31:34 PM »
I have never done this, but I don't see why it would not be feasible.
The Potential's:
Honey is 1.036
Corn Sugar is 1.046
DME is 1.044
It would take a little more Honey to make up for the differences. I'm not sure how much to use, I will have to do some calculations to find out how much. Because there is a difference in the potential's, I would not feel right telling you what setting to use.

I have a great Citris Hef I think I will try this on.

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

GregKelley

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 08:18:44 PM »
Thanks Preston.

Its not just the potential, though, its also how clean it ferments.  While the potential for DME and Corn Sugar are real simple, the calculations in BeerSmith show a considerable more amount of DME required for the same carbonation levels.  This is because DME doesn't ferment down as much as corn sugar.

Offline Blackfriar

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 04:55:27 PM »
In John Palmer's book "How to Brew" there is a table that rates honey as: Extract 38 ppg, Fermentability 95%.  He suggests 4.7 ounces for a 5 gal batch, to give around 2.5 volumes.

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 07:34:08 AM »
Thanks BlackFriar for the info. I will have comb through Palmer's book again. It's a good read and well worth another look.
Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

GregKelley

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »
Yeah, that is great information.  I don't have his book, yet.  What statistics does he give with regards to corn sugar?  That way I can compare and adjust my formulations accordingly.

Offline Blackfriar

• BeerSmith Apprentice Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 02:28:58 AM »
Greg, He suggests for corn sugar 42 ppg,  100% fermentability and 4 ounces for a five gal batch.

Cheers,
Mike.

GregKelley

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 08:30:46 AM »
Thanks.  Those numbers will help me determine the corn sugar to honey ratio.  Using BeerSmith to tell me how much corn sugar to use, I can implement the ratio to get a good idea on how much honey to use.