• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

beer colour change after dilution.

jonnym_ch

Brewer
Reaction score
hi all,
am going to use the dilution tool in beersmith to maximise potential for my brew days. i see that beersmith adjusts the hops required (to allow for the extra sugar in the wort) but does it also take  into account the colour change which occurs when diluting the finished beer ?
cheers !
jon

Have you looked at the Scale Recipe function? It gives the option to "Match original gravity, color and bitterness."

If you use the dilution tool to determine the amount of water to add, then scale the recipe to hit the new gravity, you can select  "Match original gravity, color and bitterness." and should get the results you want.

hi durrettd,
thanks for your reply.
i've actually set my equipment profile to allow for the addition of water for dilution specifically because i cannot scale my recipe due to constraints in the actual amount of wort i can work with.  perhaps i have not understood how the scaling function works but basically i can produce 35l of wort into the fermenter but brew higher gravity wort to allow the addition of water to produce 60l or beer. this function is taken into account in my equipment profile and i know that beersmith adjusts the hop numbers to account for hop utilization in higher gravity wort ... i just wanted to know if it also accounted for the colour change that would occur due to dilution.
am i doing it wrong or does beersmith adjust the recipe accordingly ?
any help if much appreciated !
cheers,
jon

You are accounting for your dilution by adding it to the 'fermenter top off' volume, I am guessing.  If this is the case, then BeerSmith already accounts for color due to the dilution going into the fermenter.

oginme,
many thanks. i thought that was the case but seemed to be comimg up short on colour on the last two brews ... i guess it must be something else.
cheers and thanks again for your help!
jon

Back