• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

ferment temps

tpw

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a question about fermentation temperatures. The yeast packet lists a temp range for good fermentation. I've heard that temps too high can create off flavors. What about a temp that is below the suggested range? I ask because I ferment in a bucket that I put in an interior closet that has a temp in the mid 60's during the day (good for the yeast I use) but drops to the low 60's at night. Is this an issue?

tpw

I would suggest staying within the range indicated on the package. Most of the common off flavors come from improper fermentation processes. The best things you can do to improve your beer is to add yeast nutrient... aerate your wort before adding yeast... pitch the proper amount of healthy yeast... and control the temperature.

You can buy yeast nutrient where you buy your supplies. Add it in the last 5, 10 to 15 minutes of the boil. There are many methods of aeration and too many variations to list here. Selecting yeast, pitching the proper amount and making sure it's healthy is also a large topic you can investigate on your own. But seeing your fermentation situation I will give some advice on temperature control... you can buy a Fermwrap for under $30 and an inkbird temperature controller also under $30. Those devises will allow you to bring temperatures up if they dip too low. However, if temps get too high and you need to lower them that will require additional equipment but can be done with the same Inkbird controller.

To add to Kevin58's good advice, yeast fermentation is exothermic so what the air temperature around the carboy or fermentation vessel may be at is not the temperature that is inside the carboy (which is likely to be hotter during the most active and most important phase of fermentation to control).  Since the fermenting wort presents a thermal mass which may heat up and cool down slowly, especially if you are counting on air exchange as being you mode of providing heat or chilling to the carboy, it is important to note the temperature of the carboy.  The cheapest route to go is thermal strips, which will give you some indication, though these can often be crude in accuracy.  You can go all the way up to a thermowell, which a thermistor or thermocouple is placed inside the well which sits down into the fermentation chamber.  Much more accurate, but more expensive as well.  Mid-range is a thermistor or thermocouple which can be applied to the outside and hooked up to either a display or a controller, such as Kevin referenced. These are best when the probe is in direct contact with the outside of the fermentation vessel and some form of insulation is covering the probe to shield it from the external air temp.

Back