• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Custom Water Profiles

jpsantacruz

Apprentice
Reaction score
I want to use target water profiles that are for beer styles, rather than cities.  I can get the water profile tool to calculate appropriate adjustments, but I can't get it to save the result as a target water profile for re-use. The error message is "no match found for target water profile name," but I can't find a place to add that target profile name, like I can with mashing or fermentation.  Perhaps it's because water is a 'tool' and not a 'profile'?

I would like to find a way to save target water profiles in a way that is re-usable in Beersmith.  I've tried manually adding different salts as "ingredients", but it's not obviously using them in the the PH calculation, because it's not even close to my BruN Water numbers.

I'm somewhat new at this.  Am I missing something obvious?

My advice is to focus on the brun' water calculations and skip the Beersmith water profile tool.
As much as I like Beersmith, it does not accurately calculate salt additions.

I've made specific profiles to match given styles as well.  Assuming that you already have a water profile with the test results from your water in the water ingredient database, here is how you do it:

(1) Open up 'ingredients' > 'water',
(2) Click on 'add water' in the lower icon ribbon,
(3) Enter in the profile as you want it to be for target minerals and salt ions. Do not worry about the mineral additions right now,
(4) Give it a name and save the profile,
(5) Open up the 'water profile tool' and start by entering in the volume of water for your normal mash (some people do mash and sparge combined, it is up to you) for an average grain bill,
(6) Now click on 'base profile' and click on the water profile that represents your starting water.  This should load up the mineral profile for that water,
(7) Now click on 'target profile' and click on the water profile which represents the mineral levels you want to achieve for your starting water (the new profile you create in steps 1 thru 4),
(8) If you want BeerSmith to calculate out the best mineral salt additions to reach that profile, then click on 'match water profile',
(9) If you want to enter mineral salt additions manually (such as from Bru'n water or other source) then you can enter those values for each mineral salt as want,
(10) Once done with the mineral salt additions, click on 'save additions to target' and save the water profile window either under the original target profile or change the name if you like.

Now when you want to use that profile in your recipe, on the 'design' tab, you can click on 'add water' and click on the specific water profile you want to add to the recipe.  BeerSmith will ask if you want to add the mineral salt additions to the recipe and you can choose to have them listed or not.  Since I do water profiles specific to each genre of recipe type and make my water up the night before brewing, I click on 'yes' to have the mineral additions listed and print out on my brew day sheet.

Back