• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Different Whirlpool Times

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
When adding different whirlpool times for hop additions, the timer in Beersmith seems to lump hop additions by hop rather than time. How is Beersmith handling this? For example:

Let's say I have two different hops to add during the whirlpool/steep--2oz Citra and 2oz Mosaic. I want to steep half of them for 45 minutes and the other half for 30 minutes. In my mind this means that after flameout, I'm adding half and then 15 minutes later, I'm adding the other half. I imagine it should look like this in Beersmith's timer/schedule:

1.00 oz Citra [AA%] Steep/whirlpool - 45 minutes
1.00 oz Mosaic [AA%] Steep/whirlpool - 45 minutes
1.00 oz Citra [AA%] Steep/whirlpool - 30 minutes
1.00 oz Mosaic [AA%] Steep/whirlpool - 30 minutes

But instead, it looks like this in Beersmith:

It's listed this way in both the timer tab and the brew steps page. In some cases, it'll even have the times in different order:

The difference here being, Mosaic's 30 minute steep is listed before it's 45 minute steep.

Am I not understanding how Beersmith handles the whirlpool? I'm essentially looking for it's timer to go off when I need to make my second whirlpool addition. With it being listed as such above, I'm assuming it won't be doing that.

I would need to see how your design window is ordered.  Typically, BeerSmith aligns the whirlpool hops by steeping time when the order is set in the design window numerically (by number ordered ranking).  Then it orders the whirlpool additions by increasing time, thus the 30 minute steep would be listed before the 45 minute steep.  I expect that this will be straightened out in the next update/release.

I've attached two screenshots--one is the design window and the second is the brew steps page.

Oginme said:
Typically, BeerSmith aligns the whirlpool hops by steeping time when the order is set in the design window numerically (by number ordered ranking).  Then it orders the whirlpool additions by increasing time, thus the 30 minute steep would be listed before the 45 minute steep.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you're saying all my 30 minute additions should show up together, followed by my 45 minute additions, in my timer tab or brew steps (even though that's not the order I want). But you can can see in my brew steps image that it doesn't keep it in order. It seems to lump the hops together.

Should I theoretically throw in the first set at flame out and then set my steep addition for 15 minutes? Then add my second charge then? Is that how it should work? I assumed the timer worked the same way the boil timer does.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 7.46.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 7.46.10 PM.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 344
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 7.46.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 7.46.22 PM.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 331
You have the ingredients sorted by amount.  Click on the '#' column to arrange the ingredients by order of addition.  I have attached the screen shot of the design screen and how the print out of the brew sheet appears.  You will note that the whirlpool additions on the brew day sheet are in reverse order of addition.

Attachments

• Design screen shot.JPG
    Design screen shot.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 341
  • whirlpool brew sheet.JPG
    whirlpool brew sheet.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 329
Thanks for the responses Oginme. I appreciate it.

Mine doesn't seem to want to put it in order. I have Beersmith v2.3.7. You can see in the attached imaged that I sorted it by the "#" column but it's still lumping the hops together regardless of time.

It certainly appears that I can't manually change the order unless I'm missing something. When I double click on the ingredient, it doesn't give an order value. It looks like Beersmith interprets the information to determine the order but for steep/whirlpool, it's incorrectly doing this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.09.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.09.18 AM.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 315
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.28.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 9.28.28 AM.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 346
There is a chance that this was an issue with 2.3.7 that may have been fixed in 2.3.12.  If you go to the BeerSmith download page, you should be able to access and download this version.

Just updated the software. It has the same problem.

I even deleted the additions and re-added them and it still lumps the hops together.

I guess I'll manually keep track of my steep/whirlpool additions? Seems like such a simple concept like the boil additions. Perhaps it will be fixed in the future.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 11.10.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 11.10.55 AM.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 322
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 11.11.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 11.11.12 AM.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 316
Sorry to hear that.  I have no idea what is happening to make it appear like that on the brew day sheet.  Mine seems to act as I showed on the screen shot.

According to Beersmith, it appears to be a bug--even in v2.3.12. I guess you don't have that problem Oginme.

Looks like in the next update he's fixing the sorting bug that I was have. He's also adding whirlpool temps, which is great. Not sure if the whirlpool times will be inclusive in this next version or not but it sounds like he likes that idea.

Back