• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Final gravity not reached for the first time- Anything I can do?

L

linusstick

This is only my 3rd batch but it's my first that my final gravity isn't close. It's a wee heavy and was supposed to hit 1.018-1.021. It was in the primary for 10 days and the secondary for 14. The gravity stopped dropping about 5 days ago and has been at 1.027. The unfinished beer doesn't taste bad but my question is is there anything else I can/should do or just bottle as it is and maybe have too thick or strong of a beer. This was an extract beer by the way using WL Edinburgh Ale yeast. Fermentation temp was a steady 68-70 degrees until the last 2 days where it fell to 65. ::)

Well you could try pitching more yeast. I don't think it could hurt as long as you careful with sanitization.
Cheers,
Mike.

Ale yeast isn't very happy at 65, I've had stuck fermentation that was cured simply by setting the blanket wrapped bucket on a heating vent.
Depending on the S.G. and yeast used you may have maxed it out.
Or since this is an extract brew, and you don't know the proportion of fermentable sugars to unfermentable dextrins, the yeast may have run out of food.

I'd try warming it up, and if that doesn't work I'd rack, let the yeast settle, and bottle as usual.

As Charlie likes to say: Relax, don't worry...

linusstick said:
This is only my 3rd batch but it's my first that my final gravity isn't close. It's a wee heavy and was supposed to hit 1.018-1.021. It was in the primary for 10 days and the secondary for 14. The gravity stopped dropping about 5 days ago and has been at 1.027. The unfinished beer doesn't taste bad but my question is is there anything else I can/should do or just bottle as it is and maybe have too thick or strong of a beer. This was an extract beer by the way using WL Edinburgh Ale yeast. Fermentation temp was a steady 68-70 degrees until the last 2 days where it fell to 65. ::)
What was the gravity before you pitched the yeast? If you could post your recipe and your SG readings, it would be a great help. There is a definite potential of Bottle Bombs, and I would not fell right telling you what to do otherwise. The rule of thumb is "Start High, End High" which it sounds like you were expecting if your FG was high teens to low twenties. Just to be safe, The recipe would be helpful.
Cheers
Preston

Back