• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Efficiency input instead of BH Eff

camsaway

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

What would be useful for me is to be able to input a mash efficiency and the brewhouse efficiency be calculated. Or at the very least that the calc'd mash efficiency is shown in the equip profile page.

Reason being - If I do a very hoppy beer for example I get much more wastage than a lightly hopped beer which affects BH efficiency. My Mash eff though stays much more constant from batch to batch but due to losses by BH eff changes.

Then I can account for losses for different beer styles in my profile.

Regards,
Cameron.

I totally agree with you.  That is the way I would set up the calculations, but not the way they are currently done and I suspect that it would take a major rewrite to switch from BH to Mash efficiency for the basis of the calculations.

I have tackled the issue by making my batches with a set amount of loss to trub and chiller which covers my most hop laden recipes.  I aim for 10 liters in the carboy, and 1 liter of trub loss.  Even recipes with over 112 grams of hops (think 7 ounces in 5 gallon batch if you are stuck on the English system), I don't get more than 1 liter of loss to trub and chiller and most of the time it is well below that figure.  In the end, I allow my volume to the carboy to float between 10.0 liters and about 10.6 liters depending upon the recipe, protein loading from the grains and hop charge in the kettle. 

camsaway said:
What would be useful for me is to be able to input a mash efficiency and the brewhouse efficiency be calculated. Or at the very least that the calc'd mash efficiency is shown in the equip profile page.

I think Brad indicated the choice between the two would be part of a future update.

Reason being - If I do a very hoppy beer for example I get much more wastage than a lightly hopped beer which affects BH efficiency. My Mash eff though stays much more constant from batch to batch but due to losses by BH eff changes.

You'd still have to account for these losses in the profile. As of this writing, there is no calculation that estimates losses from hops. Those losses are still part of your trub & chiller field. So, you're still going to have to write separate profiles for high hop losses, but you wouldn't have to backfill brewouse efficiency to get mash efficiency.

You can very quickly estimate BH efficiency by multiplying your mash efficiency by the percentage of total wort going to the fermenter.  In Oginme's example, he gets 90% of his wort to the fermenter. If he got 88% mash efficiency, then he'd have about 79% BHE (0.9 * 0.88).

Thanks for the quick calc - the backwards working will help instead of guessing.

Thanks for the other comments too. If Mash Eff was shown on the profile page I could at least fine tune easily.

Back