• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Whirpool Hopping

AugustoSotero

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi guys, I just can't figure what is going on with those whirpool hop additions in BS.

In my equipment profile, I am setting 0 minutes at the "whirpool time above 85C" box, and not marking the "estimate boil hop util in whirpool".

What is troubling me is that when I am adding hop steeps to my recipe BS is adding a lot of IBUS from them! Even though I have put 0 minutes above 85C. So my flameout additions does not give IBU's but my hop steeps do?

I am going to chill my wort to 82C and then start to make my steep additions. How can I add those to beersmith and not getting IBU's from them?

Thanks guys!

With this first rendition of whirlpool/steeping hops in BeerSmith, there are 2 calculations which seem to be competing with each other.  The 'whirlpool time above 85C' section relates to the extension of IBU utilization of hops from the boil and not a cap on the IBU from the whirlpool additions.  Since the data on bitterness attained from whirlpool hopping at various temperatures and times is rather sparse, and there is no real model to default to, the program simply assumes a bitterness calculation being x% of the same time as a boil addition would be.  The default is set for 50%, so a 20 minute whirlpool addition would give you the same amount as a 10 minute boil would have calculated out to be.

There may be a better model for this coming, but I have not seen it in any literature so far.  For my system, I took a well brewed recipe and moved some of the late boil hops to the whirlpool at 2x the duration.  From this, I tasted the resulting beer in comparison to my standard recipe and ended up lowering the utilization factor to 30% based upon perception.  It is not perfect, but close enough given that the IBU calculations are pretty loose anyway.

Back