• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Kettle Ventilation in Basement HERMS System

stevep4

Apprentice
Reaction score
Any advice on adding a ventilation to an in basement all electric 10 gallon HERMS System?  My fist attempt without any exhaust system tuned my basement into a rain forest!  Next tried an 80CFM bathroom vent right above the boil kettle.  Got better results, but also go some condensate dripping into my kettle.  I?m thinking now of adding a kitchen style hood.  How many CFM does one really need, and does the height above the kettle make a difference?  Any direction in this endeavor will be much appreciated!

My advice would be to contact a HVAC professional to make sure the system is sized correctly and will hold up to the heat and humidity you will put through it.

anything more specific?  Real Professionals are very hard to find.  Many pretend to be, but no little more than I can get off the web....

Check out this blog post from Brad:  http://beersmith.com/blog/2017/05/20/planning-an-indoor-electric-brewery-part-2-ventilation-and-airflow/

There is also another podcast from Brad with John Blichmann about setting up an indoor brewing system, but I have not listened to it lately to see if it may offer you some advice.

Back