• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 3 Announced - Preorder open

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
BeerSmith 3 is coming soon - planned release before Homebrewcon (end of June 2018).

Here's the quick look - more to come along with the preorder in the next few days:
  http://beersmith.com/blog/2018/06/01/beersmith-3-a-first-look/

Cheers,
Brad

More details and also the preorder is open now:
  - You can preorder here: http://beersmith.com/order
  - A detailed look at features: http://beersmith.com/beersmith-3-features/
  - Licensing options: http://beersmith.com/beersmith-3-licensing-explained/

Thanks,
Brad Smith

Eh, i wont be buying it for a while. I had hoped i would get a upgrade along with a lot of people.

Love beersmith, just dont like paying for upgrades.

"Existing Gold/Platinum/Professional Members ? Have automatically had a BeerSmith 3 license installed in their cloud account for their current term."

Thank you Brad

From the announcement:

Older BeerSmith 2 Licenses: We are offering a substantial pre-order discount on BeerSmith 3 now. I believe most existing users can find an affordable plan below.

Is the pricing of upgrades for existing users of BeerSmith 2  the same as that available to anyone else? That's a bit unusual, not to say disappointing. Normally prices of software upgrades are less expensive than licenses for first time customers, even during promotions.

orenb said:
Is the pricing of upgrades for existing users of BeerSmith 2  the same as that available to anyone else? That's a bit unusual, not to say disappointing. Normally prices of software upgrades are less expensive than licenses for first time customers, even during promotions.

Can you give some examples?  The only ones that I can think of is Microsoft  -- but they are so outrageously expensive that they need to in order to encourage their users to upgrade. 

I can give you two examples. Corel PaintShop Pro and DxO PhotoLab (previously DxO Optics Pro). I upgrade both about every other version and I always do it when there's a promotion. The promotion always offers two prices (for new customers and for upgrades) and both are discounted.

Edit: PaintShop Pro has a promotion right now, and guess what? There are discount prices for both new customers and upgrades, with the latter of course being cheaper. https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/

How do activations work? I preordered a BeerSmith 3 license but do not own BeerSmith 2. Can I use BeerSmith 2 while I wait (trial already over)?

orenb said:
I can give you two examples. Corel PaintShop Pro and DxO PhotoLab (previously DxO Optics Pro). I upgrade both about every other version and I always do it when there's a promotion. The promotion always offers two prices (for new customers and for upgrades) and both are discounted.

Edit: PaintShop Pro has a promotion right now, and guess what? There are discount prices for both new customers and upgrades, with the latter of course being cheaper. https://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/

I understand your point.  When it comes to programs that sell for well over $100, the 20% discount can be a substantial savings.  Honestly, I am not begrudging spending $5 more for a versatile program that is already pretty low cost.  I'll skip buying overpriced coffee twice and settle with sipping on the office swill for a couple of days to make up for it.

jcl said:
How do activations work? I preordered a BeerSmith 3 license but do not own BeerSmith 2. Can I use BeerSmith 2 while I wait (trial already over)?
Send me a note and I'll send you a temporary activation to BeerSmith 2 to carry you over.

Brad

orenb said:
I looked at the possibility of having a discounted price for existing users, but in actual implementation it looked a bit complex as you would have had to log in, enter your BeerSmith 2 key, and then go to the actual checkout.  Possible, but not sure it would be entirely worth it given the lower price points on the new version and complexity it would add to the checkout flow.

Instead I decided to have a preorder and also sale pricing after the launch to give everyone a chance to upgrade at a good price.  I also gave free upgrades to all Gold+ members for their remaining term and anyone who purchased in the last 9 months.

As others have pointed out, even the gold subscription is less than the cost of two cups of coffee at Starbucks a year.  Not a bad deal.

Brad

BeerSmith said:
orenb said:
I looked at the possibility of having a discounted price for existing users, but in actual implementation it looked a bit complex as you would have had to log in, enter your BeerSmith 2 key, and then go to the actual checkout.  Possible, but not sure it would be entirely worth it given the lower price points on the new version and complexity it would add to the checkout flow.

Instead I decided to have a preorder and also sale pricing after the launch to give everyone a chance to upgrade at a good price.  I also gave free upgrades to all Gold+ members for their remaining term and anyone who purchased in the last 9 months.

As others have pointed out, even the gold subscription is less than the cost of two cups of coffee at Starbucks a year.  Not a bad deal.

Brad

I purchased I last 9 months according to the bill I have in my email still. So shouldn't I get a key free?

Those who purchased after 15 Oct 17 can check for an upgrade here: https://beersmithrecipes.com/upgrade2

If you have problems just drop me a message as there are some third party keys from recent purchases not in the automated system.

Brad

Hello Brad,

Thank you for the opportunity to get new version of Beersmith at lower price.
Please let me know, can I deactivate Beersmith on one PC, and then activate it on another PC?
I'm asking because now I want to install Beersmith on my desktop PC and laptop, and later this year I want to switch my desktop PC to a newer one.

Cheers,
Yuri.

Brad,

I just received email because my cloud account is going to expire.  I run on Linux, and would be fine paying for the upgrade if you tell me the Linux version will be released WITH the Windows/Mac versions, and not some time down the road. 

Please let me know,

Orlando

It's like Christmas morning... I can't wait!!! Pre-order purchased!

Hi Zermatt,

Most SW licenses are geared towards a single user, in this case you and Brad has indicated in the past that 2 devices for the same user is fine.  Now this does not apply to Mobile and Desktop or Mac and PC since the licensing models are different

Rick

Will there be a mobile release for 3 later down the road?

The mobile release for BeerSmith Mobile V3 is planned for late July.

Brad

Back