• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Bottling with sugar

MRMARTINSALES

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a brew that is ready to package.

Can I bottle my beer with priming sugar if I cool my fermented beer to drop the yeast, filter and then prime with sugar?

My concern is not having any yeast in the beer to carbonate.

Any advice is welcomed

It is possible to filter the yeast out of beer.  it's also possible to drop virtually all the haze out of a beer by cold-crashing it. If you let it sit for a couple of months at low temperature, you may drop so much yeast that it will not ferment the priming sugar.

I'd recommend cold-crashing at close to freezing for a week or so. If your beer is clear enough after a week, bottle it. It will carbonate.

If you're worried about it carbonating, add part of a pack of yeast to the filtered beer. It will drop out of the bottled beer when it's chilled.

You'll get some sediment in the bottles no matter how completely you filter/chill/age your beer. The alternative is to keg the beer and force carbonate,r leave ti hazy and drink from a ceramic mug, or call it a historical reproduction and tell your friends: "all the ancient brews were hazy."

Back