• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Does anyone here use HighGravity Brew Electric system?

gvhorwitz

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,
I?ve been brewing via BIAB for about two years now. I?m planning on buying the brewing system from High Gravity Brew. I?m shooting for the single vessel 120v system. Since this system is BIAB, I?m quite sure that it?ll be perfect for me.

Does anyone use this system?

Thanks

Greg

Yes I use the single vessel system. I have brewed about 5-6 5 gallon batches and so far so good. If you get it, start the recirculation SLOW so as not to "stik" the mash. Otherwise you can end up with no water (wort) below the basket and the pump will lose prime.

I have the larger 220 volt unit and I love it. Like that they are not too many proprietary pieces on it.

I was ready to purchase one of their two vessel systems but then at HomebrewCon back in July SS Brewtech announced they are going to launch their E-Kettle system (sometime this month? October 2018) so I'm holding back to see what that looks like, price point etc. before parting with my money.

Kevin58 said:
I was ready to purchase one of their two vessel systems but then at HomebrewCon back in July SS Brewtech announced they are going to launch their E-Kettle system (sometime this month? October 2018) so I'm holding back to see what that looks like, price point etc. before parting with my money.
I just got my HGB 240v, 15 gallon system last week and plan a brew in it this week.  I thought about waiting for SS BrewTech, emailed them and it still sounds like it could be a ways off. Plus, no word on pricing though I'm sure it will be a good deal more expensive than HGB and I understand that.  In the end, I decided that I wasn't going to make any better beer with one or the other and $1200 for HGB system was already more than I wanted to spend.  No way do I have the time to build my own so...............I jumped. Plus, it looks like the single vessel systems were only for 10 and 20 gallons and I wanted 15.  The boxes do look spiffy though.
Dave and the gang at HGB are the best. Emails answered in minutes to hours, patience and the best customer service.  We're so lucky as brewers to have these options at our disposal.

Yeah, it looks like the price point is going to be higher for the SS Brewtechs. I'm not going to wait anymore. I'm going to order the 15 gallon 2-vessel system... https://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Brewing-System-Electric-Wort-Hog-15-gallon-2-Vessel-445p10097.htm

I have the 10 gallon setup from High Gravity.  Been using for over a year and really like it.  Good luck!

Yambor44 said:
Yes I use the single vessel system. I have brewed about 5-6 5 gallon batches and so far so good. If you get it, start the recirculation SLOW so as not to "stik" the mash. Otherwise you can end up with no water (wort) below the basket and the pump will lose prime.

Thanks for replying. I didn?t get a notification of it. What profiles do you use? I just bought the 240v single vessel system 62 quart pot, and am confused as to which profiles to set up.

Thanks

Greg

HopSTANd said:
I have the 10 gallon setup from High Gravity.  Been using for over a year and really like it.  Good luck!

What profiles do you use? I just bought the 240v single vessel system 62 quart pot, and am confused as to which profiles to set up.

Thanks

Greg

You can set up your own profiles which would most likely be more accurate for your system rather than relying on what others have done.  Especially with producers like High Gravity where the systems are individually make, small differences between one system and the next can make a larger difference in the profile set up.

There is a good video on setting up a profile in BeerSmith from Short Circuited Brewers which can be found at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwEbjOt8OR8&t=34s

My brewery is home made. 
Chopped the top off a Miller keg.  Added basket tabs to hold basket.
  - Stainless turkey fryer basket
Antique block and tackle lifts grain bag out off keg after mash
Hops basket holds hops and helps chilling
Cut three holes: Drain tube, Temp Sensor, Heater element
Brew Boss Controller: Wifi enabled controller
Chiller is a plate chiller I bought from a pool heater company.
Chugger Pump
Tri-clamp connections
Spike Fermentor recent upgrade from Fast Ferment - Massive upgrade
BeerSmith 3 has a plugin for equipment
Save Recipe as Beer xml and send to tablet for Beer Boss Automation
The Beer: As good as anything I can buy (Kids and buddies agree)

Back