• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonating beer in Keg

brettg20

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am just about to start kegging my beer...I am going to have a 2 draft kegerator but I am going going to be brewing more than I will drink.  My question is do I have to carbonate the beer as soon as I put it in a keg or can I store the beer in the keg for x amount of time until it reaches the fridge and CO2 and then carbonate.  Will this affect the flavor at all.  If I have two full kegs in the fridge but I brew a batch and keg it, I want to know if I can wait to carbonate or how this works.  Thanks

Welcome Brettg20
I usually Carbonate before it goes into the kegerator. But there is not reason that I can think of that Says you cant wait. My thought on the carbonation is that the pressure will help keep the seals sealed and the nasties out. I switch out my kegs to keep the selection going so all I am waiting for is the beer to cool off. I usually switch in the evening and the next day I'm drinking the newly taped keg.
When I keg a beer I usually bring the pressure up to 30# to start with and after about 3 days I bring it down to drinking pressure. All of which is done at room temp. So it will be ready for the Kegerator when I decide.
Cheers
Preston

Back