• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Can't Figure It Out

G

Garrete

The last couple of batches, has me scratching my head. I get my pre-boil gravity and volume, but after I boil, my volume is where it should be, but my gravity is not.

Take the batch I just made. The pre-boil gravity was to be 1.030 and I hit 1.032 with a volume of 6.8 gallons. After all was chilled and put into the fermentor, I had 5 gallons and my gravity should have been 1.037, but I only got 1.034. Maybe I am splitting hairs here.

I would say that the difference is close enough. 1 quart will make a difference of about 1.003. So if your kettle and fermenter calibration are not exact, then your SG will be off +- a few points. It sounds like you got yourself an extra beer in the batch and thats not a bad thing! RDWHAHB
Cheers
Preston

You are correct about the exact calibration. I did pour 1 gallon at a time into my fermenter and then marked the location. I could easily have had a quart difference. Thank you so much.

Back