• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith 3 Released

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
BeerSmith 3 is available for download in time for Father's Day!

http://beersmith.com

Brad

great update but I thought you would take care of the calendar too but it's still the same.
too bad

Hi,

is it just me or did the old preview glasses in the recipe builder look more accurate/natural?

You can switch to the old icons for the beer color by selecting 'options'> 'look and feel' and unclicking the box that is labeled 'use new beer glass icons'

I love Beersmith and have upgraded to 3 on a gold subscription but I have a few questions; is cloud based inventory still not included? or if it is how do I set it up?, If it is not included how long until this is added?

Not being able to sync inventory across computers and app is a real problem and the only thing that keeps me looking at alternatives for use in our small brewery.

I do not have cloud based inventory yet but I will be working on that over the next year as I'm adding ingredients and inventory to the cloud next.

Brad

When is the Mobile 3 version available, the website says late July and has not been updated?

I've been using BS2 for a while now and I like it, so naturally I'm now looking at upgrading to BS3. But I'm a bit put off about the licenses available. I don't need any cloud features and I want to buy it once, not buy a subscription. So the Basic license looks almost perfect. The only thing that has me worried is that the major updates are not included. What is the definition of a major update? Is it like the difference between 2 and 3 or is it smaller changes as well? Will I be able to get the major updates without buying the whole program again?

BeerSmith said:
I do not have cloud based inventory yet but I will be working on that over the next year as I'm adding ingredients and inventory to the cloud next.

Brad

I'm generally a big fan of Beersmith 3.0, but not being able to sync inventory or the calendar across the cloud or on my phone is starting to get in the way of progress pretty badly. Any idea yet on when those features will be available?

In the absense of a proper feature update, can I manually copy the following files:

Grain.bsmx
Hops.bsmx
Misc.bsmx
Yeast.bsmx

from one computer to the corresponding folder on a second computer running Beersmith 3.0 as an interim solution for inventory? If so, can I do something similar for the calendar?

OR

Is there a way to have Beersmith 3.0 installations on two computers share a folder on a cloud-based file system, like Microsoft OneDrive, as a real-time sync solution for everything?

Thanks for your help.

You can copy the data files from one computer to another.  You will also want to duplicate the recipe files as well.

There are people who have tried to use several computers and cloud storage, and I only know because they complain on the forum when it doesn't work well or causes a glitch.  File sharing is not one of BeerSmith's strong points.

For you Gentoo users out there - I created an ebuild for Beersmith 3.0.9.  You can find it here

https://github.com/brundage/gentoo-fatty-portage-overlay

To use it create a file in /etc/portage/repos.conf called something like fatty-local.conf

Code:
[fatty]
location = /usr/local/portage/fatty
sync-type = git
sync-uri = https://github.com/brundage/gentoo-fatty-portage-overlay.git
auto-sync = yes
Then run
Code:
# emaint sync -r fatty
# emerge beersmith

Then wait forever for webkit-gtk to compile.  :D

Back