• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Multiple grain additions to mash

warra48

Apprentice
Reaction score
I brewed a dunkelweizenbock this week.
I doughed in with 4 kg of wheat first, to do a protein rest at 55ºC for 20 minutes.
I then added 3 kg of pilsner and specialty malts, and aimed for 64ºC saccrification rest.

I couldn't find an appropriate mash profile to calculate the required infusions and temperatures, so had to basically try to figure it out on my own.

Is there a mash profile in BeerSmith which allows for multiple grain additions and multiple rests?

Multiple rests is not a problem, there are plenty of mash profiles for that, or you can make your own.
I'm pretty sure you can't calculate multiple grain additions as you describe on beerSmith.

Why do the protien rest with only the wheat malt? I have never heard of that before, I usually do my protien rest with all my grain additions.

My mash schedule for my wheat beers  includes a ferulic acid rest. You can make these schedules as simple or complex as you like.
If you want a copy of the Schedule let me know.

I am aware of the multiple rest facility in BeerSmith, and have used it on a number of occasions, and also for decoction mashes.

The reason I wanted to split the wheat out for a protein rest on it's own is that I'm not a huge fan of protein rests in normal circumstances. As I'm using Weyermann wheat, I thought it would be appropriate to do a protein rest with the wheat only, before going on to do a full saccrification rest with the full grain bill.

Anyway, if it is not possible to plan this in BeerSmith, then I'll wing it in future, if the occasion arises again, and up the temperature with boiling or near boiling water, stir madly, and keep a very close eye on the increase in temperature.

PS. It's curious to see I've stumped even the expert program, but then I've always been somewhat of a contrary character (just ask mrs warra)! Don't know if there is much of a demand for what I tried to do, but it may be something to build into Version 2 ?

Back