• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Keg Storage temp??

brettg20

Apprentice
Reaction score
After I keg my beer, can I keep it at room temp until I am ready to tap it or do I have to keep it refrigerated?  I have heard people say two different things.  I will always have a keg or two more than will fit in my kegerator and I don't want it to spoil.

Unless you're going to let them sit around for several months I wouldn't worry about it.
Though I'd make sure there's plenty of positive pressure in the keg before you put it in the corner.

If we're talking about more than two to three months than I would take some precautions.

Specifically I would condition it in the keg, and make sure that the hop and alcohol content is high enough to discourage spoilage.

Personally I haven't dealt with this because my converted chest freezer holds up to four kegs, so I hope anyone who has actually dealt with this sheds some experience based comments.

Back