• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Dry hopping in the keg ponderings

telemarkus

Brewer
Reaction score
Hey all;

just wondering if any of you have ecperimented with dryhopping in the keg.

I have been reading a bit into this and thought I may give it a go. Put the hops in a sanied hop sack and throw them in and then purge O2 and inject CO2. wondering how well that would work. I am trying to prevent throwing the hops into my conical following the primary (letting all that Air in). I am also thinking in terms of If I have a party or for adding fresh hops right before bottling for competition, I can throw the dry hops in the beer keg a couple days before the party/bottling for comp so I really have the freshest hop aroma available apart from using an inline hop infuser. Wondering if dry hopping once a beer is already injected with CO2 is even a possibility or effective.

Thoughts, results?

Cheers,

markus

I do it all the time and have never had any negative experiences with it. Personally I worry about the dip tube getting clogged by my muslin bags, so I tie them around the dip tube so they're suspended about halfway down the keg.

I've never done it after the beer is carbed, I always do it while kegging, but I would think you'll still get a bump in aroma with your party/comp prepping idea.

I dry hop in the keg.  Two days at room temp and then cold crash.  I use http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/ with a screen and never had an issue with clogging.

Awesome. thanks for the feedback. I will give that a go.

I wonder about multiple dry hoppings. could do it say for 3 days, then another for say 6 and then maybe 12 and crash post that. I am sure it does not matter if you do one or more dry hoppings. I was just envisioning each time you open the keg up to throw in a new back, you seal it and then purge with a bit of CO2 flushing through the system.

Cheers

markus

Back