• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Custom Report Building Question

bbuerger

Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm trying to build a custom report that would be used in the Recipe view.  This report would be used for label tap handles (approx 2" x 3.5").  I'd like to include just the yeast name on the label, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to do this.  I've tried several tag combinations using the dot notation and have had no luck.  For example:
$YEASTS.YEAST.NAME
$YEASTS.NAME
$YEASTS.$YEAST.$NAME
$YEASTS.$NAME

This and many other combos did not work.  I can't use the $YEASTS tag because the end result is this:
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2 Pkgs Belgian Wheat Yeast (Wyeast Labs #3942) Yeast-Wheat

That's too big to fit on the label handle.

I've attached what I've developed so far if people would like to take a look.  There is also a 4" x 6" report on the same form too that I use on my keg-o-rator.  Any help would be appreciated.  If a solution can be found then I could use that to build an AHA Registration report clone too.

Thanks

Attachments

• TapHandles_files.zip
    13.2 KB · Views: 206
Hi Buergermeister
I have not been able to make the "yeasts" tag work in the recipe reports template, and have not put any more time into it. I do have a Competition template that I submit when I enter competitions. I will post it at the bottom for your review/use.
Cheers
Preston

Attachments

• Competition Entry.htm
    24.7 KB · Views: 332
Thanks for the report template Preston.  If you can figure out the yeasts tag I'd appreciate it. 

Here are three custom reports I've been working on:

Bottle Label Avery 5472 - These are the small circle labels made by Avery.  They fit well on the tops of bottle caps. 
Competition Bottle ID Form - This is a close replica based off of the AHA format.
Tap Handle Files - This is a double report.  The two smaller twin labels should work well with the label tap handles that can be purchased at either Midwest Homebrew Supply or Northern Homebrewer.  The bigger label should fit pretty well in a 4" x 6" picture frame.  I put this one in a clear plastic frame that has a magnet on the back and I hang it on my kegorator over the tap handle.

A few things to note about these.
• For the competition labels to work you’ll need to have your info populated in the Address tab in the Options window.  Make sure that your name in the recipe matches exactly what you have in the Brewers Name on the Address tab in the Options window.  Otherwise the address info may not populate. 
• For the bottle cap labels you need to keep the name of the beer to just one line on the cap.  Otherwise the printing will be off.
• The Yeast field on the twin label tap handles isn't working correctly yet. 

Enjoy - Bruce

Attachments

• Competition Bottle ID Form.zip
    8.6 KB · Views: 248
  • TapHandles_files.zip
    13.2 KB · Views: 211
  • Bottle Label Avery 5472.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 287
Anybody have this working yet?  I'm trying to get some of the information into a template of mine.  Best I can figure to why it's not working is that the template has no way of determining which Yeast you have in your template.  I think the $Yeast.Name tags are used internally in the Beer Smith Application when a particular year has already been chosen. 

humanjoe said:
Anybody have this working yet?  I'm trying to get some of the information into a template of mine.  Best I can figure to why it's not working is that the template has no way of determining which Yeast you have in your template.  I think the $Yeast.Name tags are used internally in the Beer Smith Application when a particular year has already been chosen. 

I have not had any luck.  Whenever I use the $Yeast.Name tag the output I get is the name of the recipe.

Buergermeister said:
humanjoe said:

I have not had any luck.  Whenever I use the $Yeast.Name tag the output I get is the name of the recipe.

Yeah, me too.  Hopefully this is something then can get tweaked in a future version.  It would be nice to have a brewsheet that had attenuations, temperatures, etc. on it.

One thing I did note, if you use the $Yeast.Name tag in a report that displays in the Yeast view, the yeast name does display correctly.  Just can't get this to work in recipe view. ???

Buergermeister said:
One thing I did note, if you use the $Yeast.Name tag in a report that displays in the Yeast view, the yeast name does display correctly.  Just can't get this to work in recipe view. ???
Currently, only the Yeast Data type accepts the Yeast tags. Maybe Brad will modify the Recipe Data Type so it will accept all the tags available to us. Until then, We wait.
Cheers
Preston

Back