• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BS3 mash pH calcs - "chalk" vs "Calcium Carbonate"

roger wood

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am plugging a recipe from another source into BS3, said recipe which includes CaCO3 as an ingredient. BS3 has both chalk and Calcium Carbonate as water additives - even though they are chemically the same thing. I notice that adding Chalk moves the Est. Mash pH needle but adding CaCO3 does not. Why is this?

In my version of BS3, Calcium carbonate is listed as "other" and not as a water agent.  Also, the water profile tool only uses Gypsum as the source of Calcium carbonate.  I suspect that the subroutine in the program that calculates the pH based upon the various mineral salts does not use the misc item of Calcium carbonate in the calculations and this is why the pH estimation does not respond to the inclusion of this item.

yeah, Oginme, mine lists it as "other" too, so I changed it to water agent with no effect. gypsum would be a source of calcium sulfate, not carbonate, yes? If it is reporting carbonate that is definitely a bug. Seems like removing the "other" entry from the default database and noting on chalk that it is CaCO3 would remove others' future confusion.

Back