• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Acid Addition BS3 vs Brun Water 4.2

Briandead

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've always used Brun Water to set my water profiles but thought I'd try using BS3 since the water profiling has been revamped. Typically I'm seeing that BS3 is recommending around 2.5 times the amount of acid than Brun Water for the same mash and water profile.

Interestingly they both produce the same(ish) figures for mash ph, RA etc without acid additions. It just seems that BS3 doesn't seem to calculate the acid additions right.

In BS3 I've found that many of the water profiles include baking soda. While there are some uses for baking soda, I see no need for it in most pale ale recipes, so delete it from salt additions. This lowers the pH and thus the recommended acid additions to bring pH to the desired level.

I just got the latest version of Bru'n Water, v5.5, which has improved pH prediction. This moves the amount of recommended acid closer to that of BeerSmith. My recent experience has been that Bru'n Water underestimated the amount and BeerSmith overestimated the amount, so I was splitting the difference between the two. Now the difference is smaller and I will try the new Bru'n Water recommendation on my next brew.

--GF

Back