• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Severity 1 (data loss) bug when InUse.lck exists

roger wood

Apprentice
Reaction score
Summary: Opening BS3 when a lock file exists in data directory consistently causes loss of data in recipe.bsmx.

Details: I close BS3.0.8, and shutdown the computer. Because BS3 actually operates for several minutes in the background after closing its window the user does not know that it still has files open - nor apparently does Windows. On restart, I launch BS3 and receive the appropriate warning that a lock file exists. The dialog says that if BS3 closed unnaturally, and that if this is the only currently running instance, go ahead and launch it, else quit. I launch, and my data is destroyed. In one instance _all_recipes vanished. In a second occurrence, 3 recipes and 10 log entries were retained. All generic data lost.

Additional information:
* Data directory is stored on a NAS so I can access it from one or another PC in my house.
* Computer restart is not required, just create the file InUse.lck in the data directory. Can be zero bytes.
* I am able to restore from archive, fortunately, so perhaps this is a sev 2, but it is still _very_ nasty.

I had this problem several times after having both BS2 and BS3 open while moving files between the 2. Since I finished these transfers and quit using BS2 the problem hasn't occurred.

Interesting. FWIW I was not using BS2, and the BS3 data files are on a different server (BS2 files were on desktop drive - different computer altogether). I replicated this from 2 computers, one which never had BS2 on it.

Back