• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Separate dates for starter and brew day

GigaFemto

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I would like to see a separate date for the making of the yeast starter. Some people may make a starter on the same day they brew, but I bet most people make their starter in advance. I usually make mine a week or so in advance. If I have to make a 2-stage starter I begin even earlier. It isn't a big deal, but it does affect the yeast viability calculation.

--GF

+ on this. 

Right now, I plug in the date from the yeast packet to plan out the starter(s) needed to grow up to the needed cell count.  Once I have made my starters, I switch the date to the date when the starter was placed in the refrigerator to cold crash.  This gives me an approximation of the amount of the starter needed. 

I typically over build the starters, do cell counts on the brew day, and pitch according to the required number of viable cells, but this would help for more advanced planning on starters

Back