• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

vista windows update....oh no! where my beers at?

P

pklym

Awhile ago I switched computers, reinstalled beersmith, imported my old recipes...
everything was great.

Last night windows did a normal update and today when I open beersmith it says my trial has expired, and all my recipes are gone...

needless to say it scared the crap out of me and I declined to enter my old registration code for fear everything would be lost forever.

I did a system restore fixed everything.
Now I was hoping there was a way to update windows and not lose everything. Any help is appreciated.

vista 64-bit

Hi,
  Vista (you have to love it) stores the data for BeerSmith not in the BeerSmith directory (unless you are running as an administrator) but in a "compatability" directory.  See the following post (last of the posts - which explains where all this stuff is):

http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=1737.0

Very likely when you updated it changed some user control setting or other setting to redirect it to another "compatibility" directory.  Your data is still there in the "compatibility" directory listed - but when you open the program Vista may be looking elsewhere.  You can correct it by making a backup of your compatibility directory before the update and then copying it back after.

Cheers,
Brad

Back