• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do you figure lauter tun dead space?

L

linusstick

How do you accurately get this figure? Also how do you get Lost to boil trub and chiller? I find it confusing that in the equipment setup there is a boil time area. Why would this be in equipment since this is a recipe specific field?

Here is a Post about how to setup your equipment. http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=1749.0
Repost:
First thing add water to your Mash tun/Lauter tun and then drain as you would with grains. Then measure the remaining water and set this as your Deadspace measurement. Then on the next brew-day take a measurement of the Trub in the kettle (I took several measurements to get an average), and set your loss to Trub. I have added .5 G to the final volume (Make sure your recipe is set to 5.5Gal also), which should help with any variances. For me its always better to have more wort than less. Hopefully this will get you in the ballpark.
The Time is used for evaporation rate setting of your equipment. I don't know if it actually comes into play in the equipment settings and recipe. I think it is more for adjusting your evaporation rate. If you boiled for 60 min, and lost less than one gallon, you could use that information to get the correct setting for your evaporation rate. Purely speculation on my part tho.
Cheers
Preston

linusstick said:
How the heck do you "measure trub"?
After you boil your wort, Siphon out your Wort into your fermenter. Measure what is left in the Kettle (Hot break, and Spent Hops). I took an average over 5 brew days for mine. If you use Hop bags/Hop filter's you will have less trub/hot break in the kettle.

linusstick said:
How the heck do you "measure trub"?

After you have completed the boiling of a brew, cooled it, and then siphoned the wort into your fermenter, there may be some trub left over in the kettle. You dump that into a measuring glass and measure it. That figure goes in the "lost to boil trub and chiller" field.

Personally - I pump everything into the fermenter down to the last 3.25 cups (the lowest my siphon will go in the kettle). If I happen to suck in trub, so be it. When I set MY "lost to boil trub and chiller" I simply filled my kettle with a couple of gallons of water and pumped it out then measured what was left in the kettle using a measuring glass.

This may be repetitive, but I didn't see it...........as you're doing what others mentioned, mark a dowel or rod with the gallons as you fill it up.  Part of accurately calculating the losses along the way is knowing where you started. 

Mark a stick with the typical pre-boil level, measure what went into fermenter, what would not drain out of MLT and boiler, how much you put into keg or bottles, etc.  After a few batches you will know the losses, and have a good idea of what to start with IOT finish with your desired beer QTY when it's over. 

Back