• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yoghurt Ale recipe

Manolo

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

Below there is a recipe that I found by accident. My wort was infected by some Yoghurt bacteria in the kitchen since I was preparing a yogurt while I was brewing (same cheasy smell) ... Nevertheless, I didn't give up and boiled the wort with some hops and let it ferment with a top fermenting yeast. The result was stunning. I got a very nice and tasty low alcohol beer (about 1%). It tastes like lager even though it was fermented by an ale yeast. So, here is the moral, don't throw away your wort even if it gets an infection, you can certainly make something interesting out of it and above all, avoid brewing in the place where you cook.

Cheers,

Manolo

Recipe: Yogurt ale
Style: Specialty Beer
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 L     
Boil Size: 11.45 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 20.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 23.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type        % or IBU     
0.25 kg      Extra Dark Dry Extract (95.0 EBC)        Dry Extract  13.40 %     
1.15 kg      Pilsen  (5.0 EBC)                                Grain        61.66 %     
0.25 kg      Munich Malt (15.0 EBC)                        Grain        13.40 %     
0.22 kg      Cara-Pils    (25.0 EBC)                        Grain        11.53 %     
10.00 gm      Northern Brewer [8.50 %]  (60 min)        Hops        21.7 IBU     
10.00 gm      Saaz picomousse [2.20 %]  (10 min)        Hops        1.9 IBU     
5.00 gm      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                     
1 Pkgs        SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33)            Yeast-Ale                 

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 1.61 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Medium Body
Step Time    Name              Description                        Step Temp   
10 min        Protein Rest      Add 4.22 L of water at 54.8 C      50.0 C       
45 min        Saccharification  Heat to 67.8 C over 15 min          67.8 C       
10 min        Mash Out          Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min          75.6 C   

Back