• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Primary Fermentation Times in BeerSmith

hayes_nt

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

As a new Beersmith user and small batch (12 litre ) all grain brewer, BeersSmith gives a "4 day primary fermentation time" in the brew steps for the German Hefeweizen that I have just put down (20 July).  I have my fermenter in a fridge with temperature controller and a band heater to maintain a 17 deg C fermentation temperature.  After a fermentation that started within 12 hours, everything slowed at the 2-3 day mark, the airlock was going at 1-2 bubbles per minute, the krausen had dropped and the wort showed a clearer colour . Given the reduced airlock activity I started a diacetyl rest at 20 deg C that has continued to this day, the airlock has nil activity.  Can I assume that I'm at the final stage of fermentation, in line with Beer Smith predicted fermentation time???. 
At this stage I'm maintaining the diacetyl rest until next, Tues 01 Aug, before commencing a slow cold crash. Access for an SG in problematic without disturbing everything.

Thanks in advance
Nigel

Just to get the fermentation profiles straight, BeerSmith software does not predict nor recommend fermentation times.  You create, select, and modify a fermentation profile which matches how you want to ferment your wort into beer.  Those profiles that come with the software should be viewed as templates for you to personalize to your liking.

My approach with fermentation has always been to watch the action of each strain of yeast that I use and keep good notes and records of how that yeast behaves.  I then alter the planned fermentation accordingly when I use that strain to achieve the results that I want.  Given that you are seeing little activity and you have proceeded to the diacetyl rest you are probably in good shape to proceed as you have outlined.

Thanks for the quick response, I see what you mean.  It has been a steep learning curve after getting BeerSmith and I'll be learning for a long time !! again thanks

While we're talking about fermentation time it's good to know what is going on under the hood, so to speak, during fermentation. Here is a recent Beersmith podcast with John Palmer who does a very good job of describing the yeast life cycle. It's good to know why there is a lag in the time between when you pitch the yeast and the airlock starts bubbling... what is going on during that active period... and why you should not consider fermentation done when that visible activity stops.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2018/03/31/beer-maturation-and-yeast-with-john-palmer-beersmith-podcast-168/

airlock activity (or lack of) is not a reliable indicator of fermentation progress. measure the SG to accurately know where you are on the path to the end goal

Back