• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Amyloglucosidase Enzyme addition and est final gravity

jomebrew

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I expected the addition of amyloglucosidase enzyme would calculate a lower final gravity but it didn't.  I tried setting as a mash and fermentation stage but neither affected the estimated final gravity. 

I ended up just setting the yeast to 98% attenuation to estimate the final gravity and thus estimate the ABV.

Anyone know if there was something I missed?

I don't think you are missing anything.  The program does not take into account the diastatic power of the malts in the mash, I don't know how or why it would account for additional enzymes.  I will admit that I have not done much reading on enzyme addition and its affect on mashing parameters and wort fermentability, so I may be missing something here as well.

Jomebrew, I don't think you missed anything. We count attenuation by what we see as final gravity. That's not usually made up of fermentable sugars, just the unfermentable ones.

The addition of amylase enzyme simply presents the yeast with more fermentables and the result is greater attenuation from the yeast. After all, the addition of simple sugars increase alcohol and therefore overall attenuation, so why wouldn't amylase enzyme? Eventually, you'll get to the limit of the yeast and that's a different sort of attenuation.  ;)

Wine, cider and mead yeasts ferment to 1.000 or 100% attenuation, as long as it's within the alcohol tolerance of the yeast.

Back