• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Sugar Added to Primary

balysomi

Apprentice
Reaction score
The Belgium Tripel recipe I did last weekend called for 16 ozs of liquid sugar to be added to primary fermentation (about 2 days in).  When calculating the expected post boil OG, Beersmith 3 came up with 1.078.  However, the measured reading came in at 1.072.  The question is how does Beersmith 3 handle the additions of sugars post boil?  Is that calculated in the post fermentation FG or was it added into the post boil? 

BeerSmith does not estimate a post boil gravity, instead it gives a calculated OG of the recipe.  This OG of the recipe includes any sugars that are added post boil, such as in the fermenter.

To see what your post boil gravity estimation should be, open the recipe, click on the post boil sugar addition and enter the amount as 0.  Now click OK and note the new OG reading without the sugars.  Click on 'undo last' to put the sugar back in.  I usually put the post boil sugar estimation in the 'notes' section so that I know what my target is going into the fermenter.

Oginme said:
BeerSmith does not estimate a post boil gravity, instead it gives a calculated OG of the recipe.  This OG of the recipe includes any sugars that are added post boil, such as in the fermenter.

To see what your post boil gravity estimation should be, open the recipe, click on the post boil sugar addition and enter the amount as 0.  Now click OK and note the new OG reading without the sugars.  Click on 'undo last' to put the sugar back in.  I usually put the post boil sugar estimation in the 'notes' section so that I know what my target is going into the fermenter.

Thank you for the exaplanation.  That makes sense.  Performed the steps and came back with an expected OG of 1.068.  Not too far off the measured OG.

Back