• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to brewing. Use of the valve in the fermentor

scintnl

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm making now my second batch.  But I have a question.
Why use a valve that lets the CO2 escape?  Why not just put a rubber balloon to hold the pressure?

Early in primary fermentation, there are volatile compounds that you don't want to keep in your beer. Most often, it's a form of sulfur that ranges from canned corn to egg salad to outright rotten eggs or vegetables. You won't usually detect them yourself, but they're there.

Also, there is a lot more CO2 produced than is needed for carbonation. It's highly doubtful that your fermenter is capable of holding that much pressure. The beer may be 5% alcohol but it takes less than 0.5% for carbonating. The excess carbonation is not pleasant and makes taking samples or pouring a pint very difficult.

So, we usually wait until the end of fermentation and dose with a little bit of sugar to create the desired level of CO2.

Back