• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water profile from analysis data?

scotto

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I am trying to setup a custom water profile to calculate acidity additions, and have obtained the water analysis profile of my town supply. However, the report does not specify Mineral Profile - only calculated Water Analysis fields.

Specifically, the report contains the following information (extracted from the report, most units mg/L):

Alkalinity (as CaCO3): 150
    Aluminium: 0.012
    Chloride: 138
    Hardness: 67
    Iron: 0.08
    Manganese: <0.002
    pH: 8.19
    Silica: 17.8
    Sodium: 135
    TDS: 543
    True Colour: <1
    Turbidity: <0.1

How do I enter this into Beersmith? I seem only able to edit fields for Ca, Mg, Na, SO4, Cl, HCO3 - and while there are fields for Alkalinity and Effective Hardness, I am unable to edit them!

Can someone please help me translate this info into a format that Beersmith 3 understands?
Many thanks!!

If you got this info from the entity that provides you your water, you are not going to get the information you need from them.

Most use Wards Labs https://www.wardlab.com to get this information. You send off a water sample and they assay it for around 30.00.

Also since a lot of home brewers use Wards, there are a few sites that have compilations of results from Wards from around the country.

Here is one site: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/water-profiles

Most municipal water sources will only give out the minimum information which is required of them.  Call and ask to see if they do any additional testing and let them know what you need and why.  In many cases of people I have talked to, once you mention home brewing they will give you a lot more info (if they have it available).

I would also recommend backing yourself up with a test by Ward labs as mpilchuk has suggested.  Depending upon the information you get from your municipality, you may want to do this several times during the course of a year to understand the variability with seasons that you may encounter.

The benefit of using Ward Lab is that they have a specific "Brewers Kit". It's more like $42.00 than $30 however.

Back