• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

No ability to use DME/StirPlate for Dry Yeast?

apax

Apprentice
Reaction score
So, I'm just starting to learn BeerSmith.  Using trial.  I'm going through the various windows and options.

When I choose a recipe, I start it, and move on to yeast..... when I select a dry yeast, I don't have enough recommended cells for my batch.  But, unlike liquid yeast, I don't have any options to see DME / Stirplate to increase it.

If I only have a 5g package, why don't I have the data that liquid yeast has to increase the viable cell count?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.17.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.17.56 PM.png
    158.8 KB · Views: 463
Many believe it's cheaper and more practical to just pitch multiple packets of dry yeasts. I assume this is why Brad just gives the number of packets. The Brewers Friend yeast tool allows you to calculate starters using dry yeast. I strongly recommend rehydrating prior to making a starter when using dry.

I have done this many times with good results. I plan on trying shaken not stirred vitality starters using rehydrated dry yeast in the near future and expect results very similar to those achieved using liquid yeasts.

I agree with BOB357.  I can buy packs of S-05 or S-04 for about $3 to $4 a pack (less when I buy multiple packs at once).  It cost me around $2 for a proper sized starter.  Add to that the work of sanitizing, boiling the starter wort, and time.

If you want to build it as a starter though, go to your yeast profiles and select the dry yeast you want to use.  Duplicate it (copy and paste), then open the copy up.  Change the type to liquid (this will change some of the parameters) and set the values back to that for the dry yeast (# cells/ pack, age rate) and save it.  Now use this for your recipe and you will be given the option for a starter.

That is a great idea @oginme

I *get* that there is a difference between rehydrating and a "starter", but realistically, they are the same thing.  One just has a focus to grow cells, but they still are a step to "start" the fermentation.  It's just a question on adding fermentables to increase the cell count.  It's probably this line of thinking that got me to the question "why not DME on dry yeast"?

I also agree about the cheap cost of yeast.  But, surely I'm not the only one who wants to do a 10g, and, oh crap, I only have 2 packs left.  Dumb me.  :)

Anyway.... thanks guys!!  Great advice!

You're not alone. I order a bunch of dry yeast at a time. and don't want to use 2 packets when I'm only needing slightly more than 1 or need to reorder when the weather is blazing hot. Been making dry yeast starters for some time now and results produce beer that's every bit as good as what I made using liquid yeast for starters. I am going to use Oginme's trick so I can calculate the starters in Beersmith rather than toggling between 2 programs.

Back