• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Is Karo syrup same as corn syrup?

MaltLicker

Forum Moderator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Are Karo syrups (light and dark) typical of the corn syrup entry in BeerSmith?  The light and dark (that I bought) have different grams of sugar, 16g and 11g, respectively.  With the 5g difference in sugar, should there be a different entry for one or the other? 

Corn Syrup US
Yield: 78.30 %
Type: Sugar
Potential: 1.036
Color: 1.0
Coarse Fine Diff: - % Max In Batch: 10.00 %
Moisture: -  Must Mash: FALSE 
Diastatic Power: -  Protein: - 
Inventory: 0.00 lb
IBU: 0.000
Notes: Syrup derived from corn with many of the same properties as corn sugar. May be used to enhance gravity without adding much body or flavor. Limit percentage in batch to avoid wine/cider flavors.

With that much of a difference in sugar they should have different entries.  If you could tell me the percent sugar in each I could help with the numbers.  Otherwise add 1 pound to a gallon of water (or the appropiate smaller amount) and measure the gravity.

Fred

Light CS (Walmart)             Dark CS (Karo)
Amount 2 tbs = 1 oz = 30mL 2 tbs = 1 oz = 30mL
Calories             130                         120
Sugars             16g                           11g
Total Carbs       32g                           31g
Sodium             35mg                         45mg

The light has HFCS in it.  So, short of actually mixing 1 oz per 8 oz of water, is there a calculation that would give a decent estimate of the PPG or SG from each?  Thanks.

I'm a bit confused by the difference in carbs and sugars.

This is saying there is more something in there than meets the eye.

Fred

It's a FDA label, so probably it is their required information using their required "food math."  I presume the higher carbs mean that there are more carbs than just the "Simple Sugars" itemized.  Starches or whatever else that may form a non-sugar carb? 
I would think there is a rough calculation in metric using the 16g of sugar in a 30mL sample but I couldn't figure it out nor find anything online. 
I may make samples today for a brew session tomorrow where we were going to demonstrate refractometers anyway. 

Below is what I measured for each sugar.  Given the non-exact nature of getting exactly 2 tbs in exactly 8 oz of water, it appears it is very close to the XX grams sugar divided by the 30 mL of the serving size, then dividing by ten. 

The default entry in BSmith is closest to the dark corn syrup.  Wondering is HFCS in CS Lite makes it a super-concentrated sugar? 

CS Lite  16g / 30mL = 0.52      SG = 1.052

CS Dark  11g / 30mL = 0.36      SG = 1.036

Molasses  15g / 30mL = 0.50  SG = 1.047  (either a mis-measure or molasses inherently different?)

Back