• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Alty Beer

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Here's a proposed Alt beer based loosely on Mark Rasheed's original recipe from the Sample Recipes database with BeerSmith.

I intend to brew it this weekend, but I thought I would ask for comments:

Alty Beer
Style: Northern German Altbier Brewer: Brad Smith
Batch Size: 5.00 gal  
Boil Volume: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Brew Pot (6+gal) and Igloo/Gott Cooler (5 Gal)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Munich Malt (9 SRM) Grain  - 65.8 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2 SRM) Grain  - 28.2 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26 SRM) Grain - 4.7 %
0.13 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500 SRM) Grain - 1.2 %
1.50 oz Tettnang [4.5%] (60 min) Hops  - 24.3 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.5%] (15 min) Hops - 4.0 IBU
1 Pkgs European Ale (Wyeast Labs #1338) Yeast-Ale  

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.054 SG (1.040-1.055 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.016 SG (1.012-1.019 SG)
Estimated Color: 15 SRM (11-19 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 28.3 IBU (25.0-40.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.0 % (5.0-5.5 %)

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out

Thoughts??

Cheers!
Brad

Personally, I would lose the black malt -- you don't need it, and it has the potential of turning your beer too brown. I know a lot of alt recipes use some very dark malt, but it's not necessary.

Also, why the ale yeast instead of an alt yeast, like 1007 German ale or Kolsch yeast? Not really a criticism, but more of a question -- I'm all for trying yeasts in "unconventional" ways.

Brad, it sounds good but with that much Munich I personally would up the IBU's to around 35 tobalance out the maltiness. Still this could be your pilot Alt and then tweak from there. That amount of black should give you a lovely dark coppery colour reminiscent of Altbier.

The 1338 European Ale is suitable for Alt brewing and leaves a malty yet clean taste. I guess splitting a batch and using the1007 as well would be a good experiment to carry out.

Cheers
Mark (aka The Drunk Arab)

After looking in the fridge it appears I purchased the "German Ale/Kolsch" yeast as opposed to the European ale yeast - but it should be fine as well.

I will step the IBUs up a bit, but I'm tempted to keep the small amount of black malt just for color.  I guess I could try a small amount of dark crystal - since I'm basically going for color and not flavor.

Cheers!
Brad

OK,
 I'm brewing this thing on Sunday...any final opinions on how to match the color?

If I use Munich alone the color is too light for the style.  I proposed either adding a touch of black patent or a bit of dark caramel.

Anyone have an opinion on which would be better?  In my previous experience a touch of black patent does not add much flavor - so I'm tempted to go that way...

Cheers!
Brad

Go the black, its only 1% and does not add flavour with that much Munich. Good luck.

Mark

All,
 Just wanted to let you know I tasted this beer and it came out great!

It really has an authentic German malty flavor, and the attenuation was very high so it came out quite smooth.

It really reminded me of the beers I had while in Germany.

Cheers!
Brad

That is good to hear Brad. How many IBU did you go for?

Mark

Mark,
 The final IBU was around 30, and I trimmed a pound of Munich off to make it 6lbs of Munich and 4 lbs of Pale.  I still kept the aromatic and black malt for color.

The OG actually came in high (very unusual for me) and the FG was quite low, so it attenuated very well.  

I also used White Labs WLP029 which is their German Ale/Kolsch yeast.

Its slightly on the malty side, but no more so than many of the German beers I've had.  The finish is very clean and overall its quite yummy!

Thanks!
Brad

Mark,
 Its great!  In fact it is my favorite at the moment of the three beers I have on tap.

It has a nice authentic malty profile, good balance and clean finish.  

I will almost certainly make another batch once this one runs out.

Thanks!
Brad

Back