• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Where/how does Beersmith calculate efficiency?

L

linusstick

I know mash efficiency and Brewhouse efficiency are 2 different things. How does it calculate mash efficiency? How about brewhouse? I know I must be missing something simple. What confuses me is that I am TRYING to figure out my efficiency in a recipe, yet it is a field that I must enter manually. How do I calculate the mash eff and the brewhouse eff?

My understanding is Brewhouse Efficiency is the target you want to reach. Actual efficiency is what you actually get. If you click on the Brewhouse Efficiency button in any recipe, and add your Actual OG it will calculate your Actual Efficiency. Then you take that number and plug it into your recipe. Here you can also calculate your Efficiency into the Boiler and Fermenter.
Cheers
Preston

I think this covers it pretty well:
  http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/10/26/brewhouse-efficiency-for-all-grain-beer-brewing/

Cheers,
Brad

Back