• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

mash in temp calculations

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to beersmith and have been experimenting with it. I brew 2.5 gallon batches. I use a converted cooler mash tun. What I question about the software is the mash water volume and temp suggestions. Im brewing an AG batch today with a little over 5 lbs of grain. beersmith suggests mashing in with 6.56 quarts of water at 168 deg F. I don't think that 1.5 gallons of 168 deg water will only drop to 154 (target mash temp) once I add 5 lbs of room temp grains. I think the temp will drop below ideal mash temps. I can't heat up a plastic mash tun like i could if I was doing BIAB. This is what i'm wondering about. Seems like the water and temp suggestions by the software are low.

If you have your equipment profile set to reflect the weight of your mash tun and the specific heat set to the type (plastic) of cooler, you should be fairly close.  Remember that you are not only bringing the temperature of the grains from room temperature up to target mash temperature, but also the mash tun.  You will want to make sure that the actual temperature of the grain and mash tun are reflected in your mash tab as you bring the water up to strike temperature.

If you are unsure of the strike temperature, then click 'adjust temp for equip' off and see what the strike temperature to bring just the grains to mash temperature.  Make a note of this temperature.  Recheck the 'adjust temp for equip' on.  Heat up the proper amount of water to above the strike temperature for equipment and grains and pour it into your mash tun.  Stir well and note the temperature of the water.  You can stir the mash water until you get down to the noted strike temperature for the grains alone and then add the grains.  Note the actual temperature you reach once you have doughed in.  You may need to adjust the specific heat to account for small temperature deviations from your intended target.

Once you have done this and made any necessary adjustments to account for your equipment, it should dial in the strike temperatures very effectively.

thanks for the help. when i uncheck that adjust temp for equipment box it raises the suggested mash temp from 161 to 163 deg F. By the way, I preheat my mash tun with 170 deg water, and i indicated mash tun temp BS and it brought down the temp to mash with. Just trying to learn how to do this all grain stuff. lot of fun.

Since you pre-heat your mash tun, you will want to use the temperature of the mash tun once you have preheated it.  I assume that the temperature is set in your equipment profile and/or on the mash tab to reflect your 170F preheat.  This would be why when you check off the temperature adjust for the equipment that the strike temperature rises since the program no longer takes into account the thermal mass of the mash tun. 

Unless you have something really off in your equipment profile, you should be close enough for your first test of the system.  Don't sweat being off by a couple of degrees to start and dial it in using the actual temperature values for subsequent brews.

Back