• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast amount entry

BigBBrew

Brewer
Reaction score
What yeast amount entry should I use for a 3bbl batch? I ordered a 500ml pitch from white labs.

Thanks

BeerSmith is optimized for homebrewing quantities. You can create larger pitch quantities by creating new profiles.

BeerSmith adds yeast in "packages" instead of measured volumes or weight. You need to make a "package" that has the same cell count ("cells per pack" field) as the starter tab says is needed for a typical wort.

Obviously, this is wildly impractical for every yeast available. I rename the yeasts I use for commercial sizes. A quantity of "1 packet" equals a full batch pitch with the correct cost averaged for the number of generations/batches I expect from the initial purchase. In my case, "1 package" is 10 gallons of slurry.

Another approach is to define your "packages" as the volume or weight of the yeast slurry.  I do cell counts on my rinsed yeast slurries and overbuilt starters.  I will decant them down to a reasonably thick slurry, do a cell count and then enter the number of active cells per ml into the recipe with the amount being the needed volume of slurry to achieve the required number of cells.  So my last brew ended up with the yeast defined as 120 "packages" (ml) of yeast at 1.74 billion cells per ml.

I set the price per ml based upon the cost of DME, yeast nutrient, etc. used to propagate that yeast and the volume of slurry produced.

Back