• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Boil-Off tool

mr_beer

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
The Boil-Off tool has a reasonable profile for the results of thermal expansion and evaporation.  It seems that it is required to manually transcribe the amount of pre-boil liquid to the Starting Volume in the Boil-Off tool.  As I fiddled with the amount in a trial recipe I was uncertain what this tool does except calculate various values. 

Is the effect of this tool regarding expansion and evaporation already incorporated in other calculations leading to the pre-boil volume and boil time?

Should I use it during the recipe design process?

mr_beer said:
The Boil-Off tool has a reasonable profile for the results of thermal expansion and evaporation.  It seems that it is required to manually transcribe the amount of pre-boil liquid to the Starting Volume in the Boil-Off tool.  As I fiddled with the amount in a trial recipe I was uncertain what this tool does except calculate various values. 

The tool ribbon is almost entirely stand-alone applications. The sole exception is the water profiler where mineral additions can be added to the profile for use in a recipe, later.

Is the effect of this tool regarding expansion and evaporation already incorporated in other calculations leading to the pre-boil volume and boil time?

Should I use it during the recipe design process?

Everything found in the boiloff tool is found in your equipment profile. The are, of course, separate applications. The tool can help you set some general parameters to be in the ballpark. You'd then update your equipment profile to reflect real-world results. You can then either update profiles in your recipes or use the scale recipe function to let BeerSmith recalculate it for the new settings.

Back